Stark County Medical Society Auxiliary
Celebrates 88 Years
The Stark County Medical Society Auxiliary
Meets in this building on Higbee Ave NW
The year was 1928. Mickey Mouse made his debut in Steamboat Willie. George Gershwin composed "An American in Paris." Amelia Earhart became the first woman to cross the Atlantic in a plane. Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin. A new, three-bedroom Colonial home is Ridgewood sold for $7,150. And 62 physician spouses organized the Women's Auxiliary to the Stark County Medical Society.
The first medical alliance in Ohio, the Auxiliary was established with the purpose of fostering and promoting fellowship among the physicians' families, performing philanthropic activities and conducting educational programs that may benefit both the members of the Auxiliary and the community.
Mrs. Edwin J. Purdy of Canton served as the first president. Yearly dues were set at $3.00. Meetings were held monthly from October to June, with the June program being a family picnic. A Holiday Tea was held in December, and Christmas gifts were collected and distributed to needy families. Other meetings were held at the Canton Women's Club. Members of the Telephone Committee were responsible for phoning all members one week in advance to remind them of the meeting place and time.
In 1936 the Auxiliary established a scholarship fund for young women pursuing careers in nursing. This scholarship program would expand to become a student loan program for students pursuing careers in all areas of health care.
The Auxiliary held its first benefit dance on February 27, 1948 at the Moonlight Ballroom. Proceeds from this event were used to equip an infirmary at the proposed new Girl Scout Camp. This was part of a 25- point health program of the Ohio State Medical Association to improve community recreational facilities and activities.
In 1949, the dance proceeds were used to support the Nurse's Scholarship Fund, and in 1950 this benefit dance became known as the Winter Frolic. Members entertained at their homes prior to the dance. Also in 1950, the Auxiliary sponsored a drive for sleeping apparel, magazines, books, cards and games for patients at Molly Stark Sanatorium.
The first 25 years of the Auxiliary saw a great increase in the number of members from 62 in 1928 to 227 in 1953. An average of 55 members attended each meeting.
Compiled by Terri Barbush, President SCMSA 2001-2002